The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme is worth an experience for every Nigerian graduate but even though it is meant to add value and provide fun for graduates of first degree, it might become a nightmare if you fail to take the following vital stuffs with you to the orientation camp.
This is a comprehensive list of all the essential things corps members should take to camp.
No camp for you if you don’t have the following:
- Authentic Student ID Card – (Original and photocopies)
- Certificate /Statement of Result from your School (Original and 6 Photocopies). In addition if you are a Medical Doctor, Pharmacist or an Optometrist you will be required to bring along original of your registration certificate with the Nigerian Medical Council, Pharmacist Board or Optometrist Registration Council and evidence of completion of housemanship or internship.
- NYSC Call-up letter (Original and 6 photocopies)
- Recent Passport Photograph – WHITE BACKGROUND (24 copies)
- A recent medical certificate of fitness from a government or military hospital.
The NYSC kit consists of: 2 round neck loosely fitted white T-shirts, 2 pair of white shorts, One NYSC crested vest, a pair of NYSC khaki (Jacket, Belt and trousers), a crested NYSC cap, a pair of Jungle boots, a pair of NYSC white tennis shoes.
However, here’s a list of 10 survival kits during the three weeks.
- ROUND-NECKED WHITE T-SHIRTS : This is a usual outfit worn everyday in camp throughout your 3 weeks. It is vital you have at least 5 of this.
- WHITE SHORTS: The programme would give you 2 pairs of shorts. It is vital to get 4 extra pairs as you wouldn’t be able to wash daily.
- PLAIN WHITE TENNIS SHOES/ WHITE SOCKS: It’s advisable you get one pair of rubber boots to save yourself from stress alongside leather tennis shoes.
- CEREALS/PROVISIONS: Unless you have a lot of money, you will definitely need this. Nonetheless it will be helpful when you get tired of the tasteless vendor’s food at camp. Make sure you don’t forget cup, plate and water bottle.
- TOILETRIES: Antiseptics, insecticides, towel, sanitary pads are quite essential to keep you a hygiene and healthy life at camp.
- MOSQUITO NET: Unless you want to suffer from Malaria, you’ll surely won’t want to forget your net. It is quite vital when you want to keep away those annoying mosquitoes.
- CASH: Even though you will be given allowance. You’ll need at least additional 10,000 naira. There are lots of things that take up money in camp like food, charging of phones, e.t.c. Also, don’t forget your ATM.
- WAIST POUCH: You’ll surely need a pouch to keep all your valuables. It serves as your bank and locker for important items like phone, money, ID card, keys, ATM cards e.t.c. You surely won’t want to keep them in your pockets or some far-away place from you, would you?
- TORCHLIGHT OR RECHARGEABLE LAMPS: You’ll need this especially when preparing for morning drills at 5am or at night after lights out when you are pressed.
- PADLOCKS: You will need padlocks to lock your boxes and bags to avoid thieves. It is well known that “prevention is better than cure”.
So, these are some of the stuffs you will need during your stay at camp. We wish you a successful stay at camp.
To your success!!